Re: Upgrade steps for Exadata

From: Andy Wattenhofer <watt0012_at_umn.edu>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 15:17:18 -0500

I think you want this doc: 11.2.0.2, 11.2.0.3, 11.2.0.4 or 12.1.0.1 to 12.1.0.2 Grid Infrastructure and Database Upgrade on Exadata Database Machine running Oracle Linux (Doc ID 1681467.1) <https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocumentDisplay?id=1681467.1>.

And all of the patches' readme files have detailed installation instructions. Read every one of them.

It's working out all of the dependencies that is most complicated. There's a long string of dependencies that's going to come into play for you:

  1. Grid Infrastructure 12.1.0.x requires Exadata storage software (ESS) 12.1.1.1.1. (You can use ESS 11.2.3.3.1 but you will lose some Exadata features).
  2. ESS 12.1.1.1.1 requires Oracle Linux (OL) 5.5 (kernel 2.6.18-194) or later, so you'll likely have to upgrade the OS on the database nodes.
  3. ESS updates are full OS images, so you'll get an OL6 upgrade on your storage servers with the update.
  4. Because of #3, you should update your database servers to OL6 in #2 rather than the minimum 5.5, so that everything is on OL6.

Some more links you'll want:
The starting point for Exadata patching is Information Center: Upgrading Oracle Exadata Database Machine(1364356.2) <https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/SearchDocDisplay?_afrLoop=486657428567514> .

There's a patching overview at Exadata Patching Overview and Patch Testing Guidelines
<https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocumentDisplay?parent=DOCUMENT&sourceId=1364356.2&id=1262380.1> .

To update the database server OS, follow Document 1284070.1 <https://support.oracle.com/epmos/faces/DocumentDisplay?parent=DOCUMENT&sourceId=1681467.1&id=1284070.1> .

Andy

--