Re: How to determine if a database is in use?

From: Yong Huang <"Yong>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 14:14:45 +0000

> a lot of the database accounts cannot be mapped back to their Windows

(Unrelated to the original topic)

Most of our databases are what we call shared database environments. Each serves tens of different applications. The most efficient way for documentation we have found is to create the file ~oracle/PatchNotice.txt on the server, or in case of RAC, on the first node of the cluster. In it we record TNS connect identifiers (optionally with schema names if the names are not obvious), email contacts, standard patch notification message, like this

  • PatchNotice.txt ------------------------ ACCNT: john_at_example.com HR (schema: ps_owner): mary_at_example.com,david_at_example.com ...

To: john_at_example.com,mary_at_example.com,david_at_example.com Subject: Production database ORCL down for maintenance

Hi All,

We will performance database maintenance at ...

Connect identifiers pointing to the ORCL database are: ACCNT HR ... Please let us know if the notification list should be updated.

DBA Team

Quite often, when the regular maintenance notice is sent, we receive emails from our clients and we make changes accordingly.

Yong Huang