Re: How to determine if a database is in use?

From: Oracle DBA <justanotheroracledba_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Apr 2016 05:46:09 +0800

Thanks everyone,
 I won't do individual replies but some good info.,

Mladen, I had thought of your idea and I like it very much, but upper management will take that as a cowboy tactic and in the event of actual downtime if its still being used then they will get stoppy, its already hard enough to promote IT as having good service, but that will give the end users more ammo against IT. But yes switch off and wait for the screams.

Iggy is also correct there are a few edge cases that for legal reasons (contracts) some are required for 7 years after project close, but I'm sure there are more and it will be a slog to once identify a unused database to then locate the correct people who know about the contract. Can always backup and restore if they need it down the track.

Ian, DBA_AUDIT_TRAIL is great, but does miss 40% of our estate. Work is now in progress to turn on DB Auditing on those remaining also our 9i databases appear to be empty AUD$ table

Niall already using logons_Current but some only have a single App Server user connected so while its a good indicator of how many connections are connected, it does miss a bit, but combined with the redo generation does give us some candidates.

Raza, a lot of the database accounts cannot be mapped back to their Windows accounts so thats a bit tricky, I suppose I could start digging into the application tables and hope to find internal app logins and email addresses and then start emailing the users for clarification. Documentation is being kept for new install, but our Company has gone through a number of acquisitions and has also acquired a number of other companies over the last 10 years and through redundancies etc MOST of that local knowledge is now gone. Documentation is wonderful given you have enough time to do it.