Re: How to determine if a database is in use?

From: raza siddiqui <raza.siddiqui_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 12:13:45 -0700

Always worth starting with the basics. However, this may only be relevant if the database is accessed at the time the offline backup is taken. If you backup and leave down, you might have to wait til an End of Week / Month, Quarter or Year cycle to really determine if that particular instance is accessed during those fiscal (or other) periods.

On anther tack, extract list of registered database user accounts and contact those users to confirm if any database / resource is needed. One typical internal audit task checks established user accounts against those still employed, and whether their role still requires them access. You'd be surprised how many accounts exist because they're "hardcoded" into specific applications, functions or reports despite the user being no-longer in that role or even employed.! [my OS / database accounts and corresponding privs were still in existence 8 months after I had left full-time employment and returned as a consultant !]

At the end of the day, lesson is to establish and maintain that old chestnut - documentation. If your org is able to fund 100s or 1000s of instances, then its about time to employ something akin to Enterprise Manager Cloud Control tool ?

Raza