RE: How to determine if a database is in use?

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_hpe.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2016 19:12:28 +0000

I think it might be wiser to leave the database in restricted mode for a while before removing it permanently. Some databases are only kept around for historic use and as such may only be accessed infrequently. I would want to get through a month-end / quarter-end period as part of my removal process. It depends on how well you were able to monitor the database to get a feel for usage.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mladen Gogala Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2016 1:52 PM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: How to determine if a database is in use?

On 04/12/2016 08:33 PM, Oracle DBA wrote: Question – How to determine if a database is in use.

Well, here is a simple way:

  1. Ask around.
  2. Take a full offline backup. If someone objects, the database is in use.
  3. If nobody complains by time the backup is finished, start it up using the following command: "startup mount restrict" and when the database comes up, execute "drop database" command. That will provide immediate savings in space and machine resources.
  4. If nobody complains, the database is not used.
  5. If somebody does complain, you have a full offline backup and can bring it back.

--

Mladen Gogala

Oracle DBA

http://mgogala.freehostia.com