RE: DBA Service desk

From: Sheehan, Jeremy <JEREMY.SHEEHAN_at_nexteraenergy.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 2016 12:44:34 +0000

Dave,

I think that helping to maintain documentation is an excellent idea. The other idea (ensuring up to date software), is good too. I'll be sure to add both to my list!

Thanks!

Jeremy

From: Herring, David [mailto:HerringD_at_DNB.com] Sent: Saturday, April 09, 2016 11:51 PM
To: Sheehan, Jeremy; Oracle-L (oracle-l_at_freelists.org) Subject: RE: DBA Service desk

This is an EXTERNAL email. Exercise caution. DO NOT open attachments or click links from unknown senders or unexpected email.

Jeremy,

So these items would cover all things outside of primary support, kind of like infrastructure work? If so, what about:

  • Documentation. This isn't just making sure first that key items are documented (standard procedures, resolutions to errors, ...) but also management of the documents themselves in some sort of sharepoint, including "living" documents stay up-to-date.
  • Infrastructure design. With a larger team of DBAs you must be supporting hundreds of targets (dbs, listeners, agents, etc.) so you probably have monitoring tools, custom scripts, interaction with enterprise ticketing systems, "sandbox" hosts among other items. For these someone needs to be proactive in terms of keeping tools updated with latest versions, management of "sandbox" hosts (keeping latest required versions installed, for example), approving changes to custom scripts and rolling out new versions, etc.

Regards,

Dave

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Sheehan, Jeremy Sent: Friday, April 08, 2016 3:24 PM
To: Oracle-L (oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>) Subject: DBA Service desk

Yes, you read that correctly. My management is toying around with the idea of creating a DBA Service desk for Oracle related tasks.

Let me give some background. I work for a fairly large company and we have about 20 Oracle DBA's (fulltime and contractors). It was brought up in a meeting to create a Service Desk of sorts to handle the "non-value add" work that we all love to do (this would be a rotating job like being oncall).

Some things I thought that could be handled by this would be the following.

  • Data repairs
  • DDL Changes
  • Assisting the helpdesk with accounts/password resets
  • Ticket routing (making sure tickets get pushed to the correct DBA).
  • Connection issues
  • Handling of job failures

Do you all have any other suggestions of things that we can add to this list? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy