DBA Service desk

From: Sheehan, Jeremy <JEREMY.SHEEHAN_at_nexteraenergy.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Apr 2016 20:24:08 +0000

Yes, you read that correctly. My management is toying around with the idea of creating a DBA Service desk for Oracle related tasks.

Let me give some background. I work for a fairly large company and we have about 20 Oracle DBA's (fulltime and contractors). It was brought up in a meeting to create a Service Desk of sorts to handle the "non-value add" work that we all love to do (this would be a rotating job like being oncall).

Some things I thought that could be handled by this would be the following.

  • Data repairs
  • DDL Changes
  • Assisting the helpdesk with accounts/password resets
  • Ticket routing (making sure tickets get pushed to the correct DBA).
  • Connection issues
  • Handling of job failures

Do you all have any other suggestions of things that we can add to this list? Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks in advance!

Jeremy