Re: Windows & Oracle Issue

From: Frits Hoogland <frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 09:25:12 +0200

Hi bob,
- these 80 SIDs (which is windows terminology for Oracle instances, right?), are these on a bare metal windows installation, or is the operating system virtualised?
- how many CPU core’s and threads are permanently available for the operating system, thus the instances?
- generally, you can use a listener to provide access to multiple instances, which eases administration and reduces usage of network ports.

I don’t know any of the specifics of your underlying hardware, which I asked the above questions.

However, in general, and specifically for a database, the total memory usage of all the database instances combined should be lower than total memory minus operating system memory usage minus additional running processes. Again, I don’t know, and have no indication that there is a memory shortage but you should investigate. Also mind PGA usage is dynamic.

Additionally, provided you keep the databases for actual usage, you should have approximately between one CPU thread and one CPU core per database instance. This is if you actually want to use the instance, so the bare minimum. If you do more with the specific database instance (which probably is the reason for the existence of the database instance!), these requirements go up.

The ‘suspending mmon action’ messages from the alert log indicate resource shortage, and the database trying to overcome that by suspending MMON.

Frits Hoogland

http://fritshoogland.wordpress.com <http://fritshoogland.wordpress.com/> frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com <mailto:frits.hoogland_at_gmail.com> Mobile: +31 6 14180860