Re: 11.2 space pre-allocation algorithm

From: Venkat Krish <venkat.lear_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2016 16:07:19 -0400

Thanks Mark.

No parallel DML.. this is all serial inserts ..one row/exec.

The real interesting part is this..

I have a GOLD copy in SAN & after every test we lay that copy over, to have consistent start. before each test

This issue/behavior wasn't seen all these months and just yesterday showed up.. and it appears the database was relaid & left idle for 2 days..3rd day was actual test.. I think the db sensing the sudden of workload probably goes berserk & allocates way more in advance anticipating more load.

My curiosity is to find
-- why pre-allocation happens even when init parameter was specifically set to turn it off.? ( may be something else is triggering this) -- what historical data does Oracle internally refer to ..that helps to arrive at decision ..where is it stored? ( I might try to clear them, if all else fails)

Hopefully I have rephrased my questions better that before and hope this would get some answers .

Regards.