RE: [OT] RE: Enterprise-grade Log Archiving, Rotation, and Reporting Solution

From: Robert Freeman <rfreeman_at_businessolver.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 20:06:00 +0000

Perhaps a quick start guide for those of us who are sub-Einstein in our IQ? Kind of like the internet camera I bought the other day. You could even have it in pictures and some language we can’t read, or poorly written English we can’t follow.

Something like:

“Click follow the long trail to the abode page of Cluster. Click Objectives, find all. Click all and find data base on the list all objectives. Bowser may spin waiting for freedom from queries for next presentation. Click on correct choice next presentation unless other cooptation is better. Clicking last preferred may not work because bug software”

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Peter Sharman Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 2:54 PM
To: Hemant-K.Chitale_at_sc.com
Cc: oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: RE: [OT] RE: Enterprise-grade Log Archiving, Rotation, and Reporting Solution

No, it is not. It is a management PACK made of hundreds and hundreds of features.

Can’t satisfy everyone – if we didn’t document the features how would you even know about them? And if we didn’t document them, people would complain about lack of documentation. But this is the first time I’ve heard of anyone complaining about OVER documenting! ☺

Pete
[Oracle logo]
Pete Sharman
Database Architect, DBaaS / DBLM
Enterprise Manager Product Suite
33 Benson Crescent CALWELL ACT 2905 AUSTRALIA Phone: +61262924095<tel:+61262924095> | | Mobile: +61414443449 Email: pete.sharman_at_oracle.com<mailto:pete.sharman_at_oracle.com> Twitter: @SharmanPete LinkedIn: au.linkedin.com/in/petesharman Website: petewhodidnottweet.com

"Controlling developers is like herding cats." Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not, it's much harder than that!" Bruce Pihlamae, long term Oracle DBA

From: Chitale, Hemant K [mailto:Hemant-K.Chitale_at_sc.com] Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 5:28 PM
To: Peter Sharman <pete.sharman_at_oracle.com<mailto:pete.sharman_at_oracle.com>> Cc: oracle-l <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>> Subject: [OT] RE: Enterprise-grade Log Archiving, Rotation, and Reporting Solution

50 chapters and 6 chapters of “additional information” !!

What is it ? A manual of (a) How to build a rocket plus (b) How to train a few astronauts plus (c) how to land them on Mars plus (d) how to build a habitat on Mars plus (e) how to get the astronauts back to Earth ?!!

It is *just ONE feature* in OEM.

Hemant K Chitale

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Peter Sharman Sent: Tuesday, March 22, 2016 1:41 AM
To: fmhabash_at_gmail.com<mailto:fmhabash_at_gmail.com>; Yong Huang Cc: Oracle-L Group
Subject: RE: Enterprise-grade Log Archiving, Rotation, and Reporting Solution

That’s exactly what drift management and consistency management in EM is all about. Look into it in chapter 43 of the Cloud Lifecycle Management guide – specifically 43.5.6.5<http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E63000_01/EMLCM/config_mgmt.htm#sthref910> of the 13c doc.

From: fmhabash_at_gmail.com<mailto:fmhabash_at_gmail.com> [mailto:fmhabash_at_gmail.com] Sent: Sunday, March 20, 2016 12:06 PM
To: Yong Huang <yong321_at_yahoo.com<mailto:yong321_at_yahoo.com>> Cc: Oracle-L Group <oracle-l_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org>> Subject: RE: Enterprise-grade Log Archiving, Rotation, and Reporting Solution

Sure …
It is because the name of the game now is standardize, centralize, then automate.

Script-based solutions for enterprise needs such as monitoring, infra-structure orchestration, and analytics are limited. This is especially true, as your infrastructure grows in size and needs.

Furthermore, as IT operations adopt agile and DevOps protocols into their practice, we are confronted with essentials needs that were not necessarily & historically baked into our practice in database administration. Needs such self-service, transparency, ‘extreme’ automation. Add to this the ITIL mandates for incident, problem, and change management.

For example, imagine an infrastructure of 1000 DB machines hosting RDBMS software, oracle, and otherwise. How do you verify your infrastructure complies with a defined end-state and if it drifts, you are made aware of such drifts in a timely fashion to take a meaningful and proactive action.

How do you manage to have all these needs under the control of single pane of glass in a coherent and well orchestrated way?

I have found Home grown scripts (and I have written thousand of lines of code) or, for that matter, frameworks, limiting and falls short of meeting the growing & evolving needs of the enterprise.

They do, however, have a role to play.

Thanks

From: Yong Huang<mailto:yong321_at_yahoo.com>Sent: Saturday, March 19, 2016 12:18 PM To: fmhabash_at_gmail.com<mailto:fmhabash_at_gmail.com> Subject: Re: Enterprise-grade Log Archiving, Rotation, and Reporting Solution

I don't have anything to contribute. But I'm curious why "such solutions are limited and pose scalability issues". Anything specific?

Yong

This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete all copies and notify the sender immediately. You may wish to refer to the incorporation details of Standard Chartered PLC, Standard Chartered Bank and their subsidiaries at https://www.sc.com/en/incorporation-details.html

image001.jpg