RE: OT: Dealing with incompetent DBA's

From: Courtney Llamas <courtney.llamas_at_oracle.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 07:03:57 -0700 (PDT)

Have to agree with Hans here. An incompetent, know-it-all , will almost always expose themselves. If nobody notices, then you need to question who you're working for. I've been in this situation and had both results. One, I left because I felt that management was blind to what was going on. Another, management was well aware and made sure that I was rewarded for my skills not my "talk". There will always be a time that everyone has to put up or shut up. the question is how long will that take and are you being treated fairly. It's hard to call out colleagues, and I don't like to make others look bad on purpose. That's just my personality. But there's no hiding mistakes such as a failed recovery or dropping objects in production. That's what we have audit trails for.
--

- Courtney
HYPERLINK "http://www.oracle.com/" \nOracle Courtney Llamas | Consulting Member of Technical Staff Phone: HYPERLINK "tel:+2814108258"+2814108258 | Mobile: HYPERLINK "tel:+8324720596"+8324720596 Oracle Strategic Customer Program Oracle HYPERLINK "http://www.oracle.com/commitment" \nGreen Oracle Oracle is committed to developing practices and products that help protect the environment From: Hans Forbrich [mailto:fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com] Sent: Monday, March 21, 2016 8:06 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: Re: OT: Dealing with incompetent DBA's Most of the recommendations will focus on 'exposing the other' or 'getting even'. If that works for your personality, fine. Realize however, depending on the other person's personality and influence, that could backfire. Three other approaches: improve your own visibility; remove yourself from the situation; live with it. Define the problem: