Re: Odd Parallelism Behavior (11.2.0.4) when DEGREE=DEFAULT and INSTANCES=DEFAULT

From: Rich J <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2016 14:15:33 -0500

On 2016/03/15 13:05, Chris Taylor wrote:

> "How to determine the Oracle default degree of parallelism - what controls/influences the "default" degree?"
>
> I thought it was default=1 but obviously that isn't true. Is there some way I can find the calculated DEFAULT degree of parallelism that Oracle might be using ?

I think
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e41084/clauses006.htm#SQLRF20024 [1] holds the answer:

"If PARALLEL_DEGREE_POLICY is set to MANUAL, then the optimizer calculates a degree of parallelism equal to the number of CPUs available on all participating instances times the value of the PARALLEL_THREADS_PER_CPU initialization parameter."

The other scenarios are found on that page as well.

HTH! GL! Rich

Links:

[1]
http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e41084/clauses006.htm#SQLRF20024