v$instance -- meaning of INSTANCE_ROLE ?

From: Brad Peek <"Brad>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 21:55:08 +0000

This is just a curiosity question, but does anyone know under what circumstances the INSTANCE_ROLE column in gv$instance would have a value of 'SECONDARY_INSTANCE'? Oracle Doc on that column states:
    "Indicates whether the instance is an active instance (PRIMARY_INSTANCE) or an inactive secondary instance (SECONDARY_INSTANCE), or UNKNOWN if the instance has been started but not mounted".

What is an "inactive secondary instance"?

The value is "PRIMARY_INSTANCE" for all four instances of both my Primary and Physical Standby databases.   I don't think this column has anything to do with Data Guard but I could be wrong and didn't find much of anything when I tried a search on MOS or elsewhere.  Brad Peek