Re: bytes vs chars

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2016 09:47:48 -0700

I think the sentiment is correct, but there is a minor correction to the wording:

Unicode is an attempt to get all different character sets into one superset, and is multi-byte in nature. The AL32UTF8 encoding for Unicode allows a character to be represented in the fewest required of 1, 2, 3 or 4 bytes, based on the Quick Link 'Code Charts' at http://unicode.org/

The 1 character = 1 byte group are often known as 'single byte character sets' or 'single byte encoding'. These include ASCII and various ISO 8859 sets. A handy reference is at
http://docs.oracle.com/database/121/NLSPG/ch2charset.htm#NLSPG166

Therefore, I think the statement should be corrected to

   "If you're using a single-byte characterset then 1character = 1 byte. But if you're using a multibyte Unicode characterset then a character can be coded on several bytes."

/Hans