Re: Oracle Advanced Security and Redaction

From: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 07:57:19 -0700

Yes, that is true. At this time, and clearly documented in the licensing manual you reference:
  • Run-time Redaction is part of ASO
  • Encryption for data at rest (TDE) is part of ASO
  • Encryption for data in motion is no longer part of ASO, but is freely available
  • Permanent redaction, known as Masking and required for test/dev, is part of Data Masking and Subsetting Pack of EM.
  • Row Level Security, Real Application Security, Enterprise User Security with PKI, and Transparent Sensitive Data Protection are included with Enterprise Edition according to the Features chapter.

In my opinion (stated in many, many classes I've taught), every DBA should allocate 1/2 each month to review the License documents - both the Database and the Enterprise Manager ones. Being aware of the contents could save grief. Finding them is not difficult: start at http://docs.oracle.com

/Hans