Re: Oracle Advanced Security and Redaction

From: <rob_at_oraclewizard.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 14:50:36 +0000

Tim, not it's not enough. redaction is to protect pii going across the network, but it is easily cracked with just connect privs. SQL Net encryption is a must, along with secure coding practices to protect against sql injection. If you are going to be a collaborate16, come to my holistic database security presentation, we go through attack surface, attack vectors and mitigations. -Rob

Robert P. LockardOracle ACEWinner of the 2015 Oracle Developers Choice Award for Database DesignPresident Oraclewizard.com, Inc. "When given the choice between two evils, I always take the one I have not tried." Mae West
(cell) 571.276.4790
(office) 410.766.6960
(fax) 410.766.0332

twitter _at_navonpilot
youtube https://www.youtube.com/user/n4281k blog: http://www.oraclewizard.com
From: Hans Forbrich [mailto:fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 08:41 AM
To:oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: The issue about using wireshark to dissect Oracle TNS protocol packet

Side note: do you know that Encrypted SQL*Net does not require an extra license?

 From http://docs.oracle.com/database/121/DBLIC/options.htm#DBLIC143 we read "Network encryption (native network encryption and SSL/TLS) and strong authentication services (Kerberos, PKI, and RADIUS) are no longer part of Oracle Advanced Security and are available in all licensed editions of all supported releases of the Oracle database."

 A discuiion on how to accomlish this is at https://docs.oracle.com/cd/B28359_01/server.111/b28337/tdpsg_network_secure.htm#CHDHFHIE

 /Hans