RE: Need two databases same name, same cluster, different versions

From: Chitale, Hemant K <Hemant-K.Chitale_at_sc.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2016 04:04:08 +0000

Dig deeper and check if the DB_NAME is really hardcoded.

Peoplesoft, for example, “hard-codes” the TNS label (alias) in PSDBOWNER not really the DB_NAME or Instance Name / ORACLE_SID.

So I can have a TNS entry that is different from the DB_NAME and ORACLE_SID.

Hemant K Chitale

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Sandra Becker Sent: Thursday, March 10, 2016 5:31 AM
To: oracle-l
Subject: Need two databases same name, same cluster, different versions

What they want
(Servers are Linux)
Current database: ver. 11.2.0.4, 2-node RAC, dbname=DEVDB, hosts production application New database: ver. 12.1.0.2, 2-node RAC (same two nodes as the 11.2.0.4 DB), dbname=DEVDB, will host production application

Background on the request and suggested strategy

I was doing the prep work for upgrading four development RAC (GRID/ASM) databases to 12c when I ran into a lot of serious issues with one of them that we determined were too numerous to consider fixing before upgrading. I suggested just creating a new database with a different name, expdp/impdp the critical schemas and create developer schemas as needed. I was told we couldn't do that because the current database actually hosts a production application and the database name is hardcoded in the app. So now I have a poorly designed production app on a really messed up development database.

The decision was made not to upgrade this particular database, but rather create a new 12c RAC (GRID/ASM) database with the same name on the same cluster. I'm not that experienced with GRID/ASM or RAC, so I'm not sure this is possible. Am I mistaken in my belief that GRID/ASM wouldn't like two databases with the same name even if they were different versions? If it is possible, can someone point me to a white paper/website to help me work through the process?

My team lead made the suggestion to create a RAC OneNode database on one of the nodes in the cluster with the same dbname, do the necessary expdp/impdp, and simply shutdown the 11g database. Then convert the OneNode to a Cluster database. I can do that, but wouldn't that affect the installation option I need to upgrade the other three RAC databases? What about installing Cluster software in one OracaleHome and OneNode in a different OracleHome? I'm thinking that would solve the issue of OneNode vs. Cluster installation, but I'm not positive. And how would that affect converting it to a Cluster database later on? I'm sure I've left out details/information. I'm just not sure how to proceed with this request. I have to upgrade GRID and the other three databases this week. The "messed up" one can wait a week or two. Comments and suggestions are welcome and thank you.

--

Sandy B.

This email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please delete all copies and notify the sender immediately. You may wish to refer to the incorporation details of Standard Chartered PLC, Standard Chartered Bank and their subsidiaries at https://www.sc.com/en/incorporation-details.html
--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Thu Mar 10 2016 - 05:04:08 CET

Original text of this message