Re: SQL Server on Linux

From: Ryan January <rjanuary_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 18:13:31 -0600

Maybe it's just me, but I can't see any of this putting pressure on Oracle to drop prices. The price will likely be the same as running MS SQL on windows, which has been ticking upward sharply over the last few releases. I'd also expect slow adoption of this outside *aaS platforms.

Thinking about your current databases; how many applications do you support which would jump to MS SQL, once it's on Linux? I can't think of a single one. Any of those that are candidates are caught up in a larger architectural shift or had already been considering a move to MS SQL on Windows.

All these factors make me think along similar lines as Tim; this isn't about price, but positioning.