RE: RMAN Backup Strange Behavior

From: Ndidi Ibeachum <chinedui_at_live.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 11:36:16 +0100

Thanks for your response Dragutin;
The command you mentioned reports as before "no obsolete backups found". For the part you don't understand, I mean that the backup records of the previous day which is meant to be marked obsolete on completion of the current backup disappears and the physical backups remain without being deleted.I then try the crosscheck and these old physical backups don't still show up. Let me illustrate.
On a night, Backup 1,2, 3 and a Controlfile Autobackup is generated. Archivelogs are deleted as the full backup has been taken. On the following night, crosscheck in the script identifies the backup files 1,2,3 and Controlfile Autobackup as available. Backup is run and generates files 4,5 and 6 with another Controlfile Autobackup. When the delete obsolete is invoked, backup 1,2,3 and the previous Controlfile Autobackup is not listed in the records but the unneeded archivelogs of the current backup like previously are listed as obsolete and removed as a full backup has been taken. This ends up leaving the physical files 1,2, 3 and Controlfile Autobackup behind. Of course I end up manually deleting because after 2 more nights, the location is full and backups will crash. This shouldn't be so.

Chinedu Ibeachum
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2016 09:24:37 +0100
Subject: Re: RMAN Backup Strange Behavior From: orahawk_at_gmail.com
To: chinedui_at_live.co.uk
CC: oracle-l_at_freelists.org

Hello

"... for about 3 days now, I noticed that physical backups from previous nights are not deleted (database files, archivelogs and control file autobackups)."

There is no obvious reason for this; Try the command report obsolete redundancy n (1,2,3...) and see what it gives.

"...Instead archivelogs that are not required before the database backup are what is reported and deleted."

This is a normal behaviour, since you have backuped the archivelogs you don't need both backup of archivelogs and archivelogs themselves to satisfy the retention policy, so the archivelogs are deleted.

"...I then crosscheck the files in the location specified and the records still do not show up in RMAN. "

I'm not following you here ...What is shown and what is not shown?

Dragutin