Re: I need to vent

From: Jeff Smith <jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 15:12:09 -0800 (PST)

Glad to hear you like it.

We're making some pretty big changes to it for the upcoming version. It will be faster and very close to 100% supportive of all SQL and PL/SQL syntax.

We're looking to make the preferences simpler and intuitive.

If you have requests in this area, now is the time to make your thoughts known. And of course we'll have a beta break-in period where you can get your hands/code dirty.

Stay tuned.

Jeff

  • Original Message ----- From: jack.applewhite_at_austinisd.org To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org Sent: Thursday, March 3, 2016 5:44:12 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern Subject: Re: I need to vent

And, fortunately, the SQL Developer formatter has zero learning curve. I love it. Never even attempt to look at SQL our Developers send until I get in "my" favorite format, which, as I've said before, includes commas on the left, aligned. Not that raggedey right mess. Also, any SQL captured by various monitoring tools goes right through the formatter.

Not a challenge to a "Best Formatting Style" war intended here. 8^)

Jack C. Applewhite - Database Administrator Austin I.S.D. - MIS Department
512.414.9250 (wk)

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org <oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> on behalf of Jeff Smith <jeff.d.smith_at_oracle.com> Sent: Thursday, March 3, 2016 2:55 PM
To: gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com; oracle-l_at_freelists.org Subject: RE: I need to vent

Well, impossible to see until you learn to use a code formatter of course

From: Mladen Gogala [mailto:gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, March 03, 2016 3:52 PM
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: Re: I need to vent

On 03/01/2016 10:56 AM, Matt Adams wrote:

1.8 million characters!!!!! How in bloody hell does ANYTHING write a single sql statement that 1.8 million characters long.

Actually, it's quite simple:
select sysdate
<few millions of empty lines and space characters>
from dual;

Voila! One reason to write a thing like that would be to prank your favourite DBA. You can do it in a little bit more expensive way by doing something like this:

select count(*)
<few millions of empty lines with space characters>
from emp,emp,emp,emp,emp,emp,emp,emp,emp,emp,emp,emp,emp,emp,emp,emp,emp;

This is going to peg a CPU thread for a good 5 minutes, using 100% of CPU power. The "working part" is the FROM clause, which generates a Cartesian product and it is at the end of the mostly blank SQL, so it would be almost impossible to see using SQL*Developer or Toad. The downside of the SQL is that as soon as the DBA sees SCOTT.EMP used in production, she or he will probably kill the session immediately. The good side of this SQL is that it will send your BCHR through the roof.

  • Mladen Gogala Oracle DBA Tel: (347) 321-1217 Confidentiality Notice: This email message, including all attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential student and/or employee information. Unauthorized use of disclosure is prohibited under the federal Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act (20 U.S.C. §1232g, 34 CFR Part 99, 19 TAC 247.2, Gov’t Code 552.023, Educ. Code 21.355, 29 CFR 1630.14(b)(c)). If you are not the intended recipient, you may not use, disclose, copy or disseminate this information. Please call the sender immediately or reply by email and destroy all copies of the original message, including attachments. -- http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l