RE: dropping oracle support - can't use software ?

From: Bertrand Guillaumin <bertrand.guillaumin_at_digora.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2016 16:25:54 +0000

Hi,
Usually Oracle has a clause in their contracts that all Oracle Database licenses must be with support or without support within a company, so if you want to opt out of support you must do it for all your Oracle Databases Licenses. I assume it is not what you want to do, unless it is the only application that runs under Oracle ? The other solution would be to void your db licenses for a CSI(if it is licenses bought only for that application) but then you cannot use them to run Oracle anymore (which is what I suppose your Oracle contact understood you wanted to do ).

Check your contracts though, but those clauses are pretty standard so you probably fall under that case.

Best regards,

De : oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] De la part de Freek D'Hooge Envoyé : mercredi 2 mars 2016 09:22
À : eglewis71_at_gmail.com
Cc : Alfredo Abate; Andrew Kerber; ORACLE-L Objet : Re: dropping oracle support - can't use software ?

A possible reason could be is that the licenses used for this server are part of a larger purchase, in which case , you cannot stop the support for a part of those licenses. You would need to stop the support for all of them. Which is why you need to be careful when you get the question from Oracle if you would like to group several csi (purchases) into 1. You would still be able to reduce the number of licenses, but than you indeed cannot use these anymore.

But other than that, you should be able to stop the support and still be able to use the software (enter non lawyer disclaimer here) . When you want to reinstate the support, you will need to pay an additional fee

more information can be found here : http://www.oracle.com/us/support/library/057419.pdf Although it is unclear to me if the license set would also be limited to a support identifier of not.

Kind regards,

Freek

On do, 2016-02-04 at 12:01 -0500, ed lewis wrote:

    Thanks for all your comments.

I'm not asking for legal advice, just if this has happened to anyone.