RE: How to Monitor Wait Event Average Elapsed Time Using EMCC12c

From: Courtney Llamas <courtney.llamas_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 10:35:58 -0800 (PST)

You can see the available metrics in the DB Reference guide - http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/em.121/e25160/oracle_database.htm#EMDBM3179.  These correspond to the DB wait event classes http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E11882_01/server.112/e40402/waitevents001.htm#BGGHJGII

Setting thresholds on each specific wait would be very time consuming and error prone when new versions/waits are introduced.

--

- Courtney

HYPERLINK "http://www.oracle.com/" \nOracle Courtney Llamas | Consulting Member of Technical Staff Phone: HYPERLINK "tel:+2814108258"+2814108258 | Mobile: HYPERLINK "tel:+8324720596"+8324720596 Oracle Strategic Customer Program

Oracle

HYPERLINK "http://www.oracle.com/commitment" \nGreen Oracle

From: fmhabash_at_gmail.com [mailto:fmhabash_at_gmail.com] Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 12:27 PM To: Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman
Cc: Oracle-L Group
Subject: RE: How to Monitor Wait Event Average Elapsed Time Using EMCC12c

I’m a bit surprised why did Oracle not include such metrics in the default template, even if disabled.

Thanks

From: HYPERLINK "mailto:dbakevlar_at_gmail.com"Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman Sent: Wednesday, February 24, 2016 1:24 PM To: HYPERLINK "mailto:fmhabash_at_gmail.com"fmhabash_at_gmail.com Cc: HYPERLINK "mailto:oracle-l_at_freelists.org"Oracle-L Group Subject: Re: How to Monitor Wait Event Average Elapsed Time Using EMCC12c

By the data you've provided, elapsed time per a specific wait event isn't a default metric, but yes, you could easily create this with a metric extension.  Once you add it to a target, then use that target as the base for a template and then you can use it elsewhere.

Hope this helps,

Kellyn

 HYPERLINK "http://d3mod6n032mdiz.cloudfront.net/thumb2/d/b/a/dbakevlar/dbakevlar-105x70.jpg"Kellyn Pot'Vin on about.me

Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman

about.me/dbakevlar

On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 11:02 AM, <HYPERLINK "mailto:fmhabash_at_gmail.com" \nfmhabash_at_gmail.com> wrote:

I had a need to create EM monitors/alerts when a particular wait event average elapsed time exceeds a threshold. Looking at the default template, I see wait classes (by waiter count)  and no wait event metrics.

Are wait event metrics not available in anywhere in a template?

Do I have to create a metric extension for this purpose?

Thanks

--

http://www.freelists.org/webpage/oracle-l Received on Wed Feb 24 2016 - 19:35:58 CET

Original text of this message