Re: ASM vs. dNFS?

From: Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 09:54:48 +0100 (CET)

Hi Chris,
my clients are using both ASM with FC and dNFS or kNFS for older Oracle releases.

I recently did an I/O benchmark at a client environment (VSphere 6, OEL 6.7 as guest, Oracle 12c, NetApp NFS, 10GE, no Jumbo Frames, W-RSIZE 64k) with SLOB and we reached out close to the max of 1GB/s by an average single block I/O performance of 4 ms (if it was coming from disk it was round about 8-10 ms and the other stuff was coming from storage cache).

I just comment some of your points.

2a) You can do this with ASM or dNFS by RMAN. I highly recommend that you do not rely on storage snapshot / backup mechanism only as you will not notice any physical or logical block corruption until it may be too late. Trust me i have seen more than enough of such cases.

4b) When you are using dNFS in a VMWare environment for Oracle you have no VMDKs for the Oracle files (data,temp,control,redo,arch) at all. You map the NFS share directly into the VM and access it via dNFS inside the VM. You only have VMDKs for the OS (and Oracle software) for example. In addition to scale with dNFS you may not do NIC teaming on VMware level, but rather put each interface into the VM and let dNFS do all the load balancing, etc. (e.g. ARP).

In sum nowadays there is no reason to demonize NFS for Oracle (with dNFS). It works very well with good performance (FC like).

… i am a kid from the FC decade and i am saying this ;-)

Best Regards
Stefan Koehler

Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
Twitter: _at_OracleSK