RE: Restricted Use - License - OEM 12c

From: Peter Sharman <pete.sharman_at_oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2016 13:32:21 -0800 (PST)

A few points to add on this topic:

·         The most important point is who uses specific functionality (not just the management packs but more broadly than that).  The example I keep using - and Kellyn is probably is probably sick of hearing from me! J - is Partitioning.  We (as in Oracle Corporation) use Partitioning internally in the OMR.  You do NOT need to buy a license for Partitioning for that, as it’s something we use.  If, however, you want to create your own user tables in the OMR database (which is a dumb idea, for numerous reasons) and then you try to partition those user tables, Oracle Corporation requires you to buy a Partitioning license for that use.

·         Please, please, PLEASE do not relink the OMR kernel to remove functionality that you think you’re not licensed for.  I had a client do that on me once, and it left an unholy mess to try and recover.  There were additional issues in this case that I won’t cover here, but buy me a beer at a conference when you see me and I’ll tell you all the gory details while protecting the customer’s otherwise good name! J

·         The simplest way of thinking of the licensing side for the OMR is this.  Any management pack functionality that is licensed with a particular pack for a non-repository database needs to be licensed for the repository database.  Let me give you an example.  Notifications for issues with a target database require the Diagnostics pack.  Likewise, if you want to receive notifications for issues with the OMR, you need to buy a Diagnostics pack license for that use with the OMR.  As always, the licensing guide is the single source of truth on this, even if it’s not particularly clear at times! J  Licensing guide for EM13c is located HYPERLINK "http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E63000_01/OEMLI/toc.htm"here, and for EM12c is located HYPERLINK "http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E24628_01/doc.121/e24474/toc.htm"here.

·         And just a quick point of determining what packs are needed for what page in EM, you can find my blog post on this tangentially related topic HYPERLINK "http://petewhodidnottweet.com/2016/01/determining-what-management-packs-are-needed/"here.

As always, Kellyn, Hans and I are here to help with EM related questions so reach out to us if you need.  OK, Hans knows a lot more than just EM, but he’ll still provide input on EM specific issues, no doubt! J

Pete

Pete Sharman
Database Architect, DBaaS / DBLM
Enterprise Manager Product Suite
33 Benson Crescent CALWELL ACT 2905 AUSTRALIA

Phone: HYPERLINK "tel:+61262924095"+61262924095 | | Mobile: +61414443449  Email: HYPERLINK "mailto:pete.sharman_at_oracle.com"pete.sharman_at_oracle.com  Twitter: @SharmanPete  LinkedIn: au.linkedin.com/in/petesharman Website: petewhodidnottweet.com

  _____

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not, it's much harder than that!"

Bruce Pihlamae, long term Oracle DBA

  _____

From: Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman [mailto:dbakevlar_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:01 AM To: Chirag Shah <csshah85_at_gmail.com>
Cc: Hans Forbrich <fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com>; Oracle L <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: Re: Restricted Use - License - OEM 12c

I also wrote out a blog post on it, as Hans is correct, we need to have it out there... :)

http://dbakevlar.com/2016/02/management-packs-restricted-use-licenses-and-the-enterprise-manager/

Thank you for posting this question!

Kellyn

 http://d3mod6n032mdiz.cloudfront.net/thumb2/d/b/a/dbakevlar/dbakevlar-105x70.jpg

Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman

about.me/dbakevlar

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Chirag Shah <HYPERLINK "mailto:csshah85_at_gmail.com"csshah85_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Kellyn

Thanks a lot for confirmation..

_at_Hans : Thanks for details.. Yes we will do the same and also unchecked the pack option from OEM "setup >> Management packs' screen for OMR DB..

Or might be we think to reconstruct the OMR/OEM again to make sure from any further potential hassle in future..

Thanks & Regards,

CS

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 7:20 PM, Hans Forbrich <HYPERLINK "mailto:fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com"fuzzy.graybeard_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Further to that, to disable the pack you need to run "ALTER SYSTEM set control_management_pack_access='NONE' scope=BOTH;" in that repository.  (Same for any other Oracle Database in which you wish to disable the packs.)

Other packs are disabled using the OEM "setup >> Management Packs" screen (or similar - that is for 12.1.0.5)
/Hans

On 17/02/2016 11:04 AM, Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman wrote:

Hi CS,set

No, unfortunately, that "Restricted Use License" on the OMR doesn't cover AWR or any of the other diag and tuning pack features.

Thank you,

Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman

Consulting Member of Technical Staff for Enterprise Manager, SCP

 http://d3mod6n032mdiz.cloudfront.net/thumb2/d/b/a/dbakevlar/dbakevlar-105x70.jpg

Kellyn Pot'Vin-Gorman

about.me/dbakevlar

On Wed, Feb 17, 2016 at 10:54 AM, Chirag Shah <HYPERLINK "mailto:csshah85_at_gmail.com"csshah85_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Hello List,

I just found that our OMR (Oracle Management Repository) database -  for OEM 12c (12.1.0.4) has "Diagnostic + Tuning" Pack enable.. control_management_pack_access = DIAGNOSTIC+TUNING

We don't aware when it was done, might be when creation/installation of OEM 12c. I'm aware about Enterprise Manager Restricted Use license, but does DIAGNOSTIC+TUNING include within this "Restricted Use License" ? Can we use DIAGNOSTIC+TUNING features for own OEM repository DB ?

And If No, the how can we rid out of it ?

Thanks a lot in advance...

Thanks & Regards,

CS