For those of you teaching SQL

From: Stéphane Faroult <sfaroult_at_roughsea.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2016 12:33:37 -0600

Hi all,

I know that there is on the list at least one other than me teaching, among other things, SQL (hi Charles), and I don't know if some of you are teaching it in non-English speaking countries; if this is the case, you might be interested to know that the "SQL sandbox" I personally use, with a film database, has been first strongly beefed up recently (I hate 10-row tables) and is also going multilingual; it's at http://edu.konagora.com/SQLsandbox.php. Currently it's accessible in English, French and Spanish. Portuguese and Russian are in the pipe. When possible, film titles are translated (a French student of SQL might not recognize "Le Train Sifflera Trois Fois" - literally "The Train Will Whistle Thrice" - in "High Noon"), translations are pulled from Wikipedia (and actor names will be in Cyrillic too in the Russian version). Contrary to many training databases, this one is pretty alive and is regularly updated, partly by scripts, and party manually. I've also tried to be make it as "global" as I can, Indian cinema isn't only represented by Hindi movies (well, yes there is "Sholay") but also Bengali, Tamil or Telugu films, and I have tried to mix "classic" and "popular films". It may be biased by personal tastes (a lot of /Commedia all'italiana/ in the Italian sample :-)) but I have tried to cater to most tastes.

   Hope a number of people will find it useful. If there are special language requirements, I am ready to satisfy them if you can help with the translation of pages and table/column names (as already said, the translation of data is pulled from Wikipedia).

SF