RE: dbms_lock.sleep coming from FM11g server?

From: Powell, Mark <mark.powell2_at_hpe.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 17:45:13 +0000

I do not remember the details from the earlier posts, but since the sid is known I suggest checking to see what is executing at the OS level. I mean this could just be a polling type process. Run a query checking for some condition. Depending on if the condition is found take action followed by sleeping again or just sleep again when the condition is not found.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Mark W. Farnham Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2016 11:53 AM To: patrice.boivin_at_gmail.com; 'Jared Still' Cc: 'ORACLE-L'
Subject: RE: dbms_lock.sleep coming from FM11g server?

Check the client app. I have seen programmers toss in a 1 minute wait on retries when they meant 1 second (when they try to manage wait retries from the client).

That can make the entire problem APPEAR to be a database problem to a casual observer.

… and I never proved one suspicious case was intentional at a place where the folks who had irrational hatred of databases were trying to get rid of sql. … but I couldn’t rule it out either and some folks were oddly upset that the problem was removed.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org<mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org> [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Patrice sur GMail Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2016 10:19 AM To: Jared Still
Cc: ORACLE-L

it's a concern when you don't know where that wait is coming from and users are complaining that "the app is slow"

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com<mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com>> wrote:

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 5:27 AM, Patrice sur GMail <patrice.boivin_at_gmail.com<mailto:patrice.boivin_at_gmail.com>> wrote: We have a slow WAN to begin with, then I noticed waits related to this plsql package in session waits in the database, turns out it is coming from a thin jdbc client.

       SID    SERIAL#    INST_ID OSUSER       EVENT                        P1         P2         P3 SQL_TEXT                                 PROGRAM

166 1 1 oracle PL/SQL lock timer 0 0 0 BEGIN dbms_lock.sleep(60); END; JDBC Thin Client

Can you please explain why a wait that does nothing is a concern?

Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Principal Consultant at Pythian
Pythian Blog http://www.pythian.com/blog/author/still/ Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com