RE: Oracle support and maintenance

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2016 12:43:51 -0500

Obviously Pete can neither confirm nor deny.

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Seth Miller Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2016 11:24 AM To: Pete Sharman
Cc: Sherrie.Kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us; Oracle-L Freelists; rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com Subject: Re: Oracle support and maintenance

Pete,

I need a hint. Does it start with the sound Rimini and end with the sound Street and rhyme with Rimini Street?

Seth Miller

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 4:37 PM, Peter Sharman <pete.sharman_at_oracle.com> wrote:

One point I haven’t seen mentioned yet – make sure the company you go with (if it’s not Oracle) is not in the midst of court cases about theft of intellectual property. I’m not mentioning any names specifically because that would almost certainly get me into trouble as an Oracle employee, but if you google some of those terms I’m sure you’ll come up with at least one company name that I would strongly recommend not going with as a result. J

Pete

Oracle logo

Pete Sharman
Database Architect, DBaaS / DBLM
Enterprise Manager Product Suite
33 Benson Crescent CALWELL ACT 2905 AUSTRALIA

Phone: <tel:+61262924095> +61262924095 | | Mobile: +61414443449 Email: <mailto:pete.sharman_at_oracle.com> pete.sharman_at_oracle.com Twitter: @SharmanPete LinkedIn: au.linkedin.com/in/petesharman Website: petewhodidnottweet.com

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not, it's much harder than that!"

Bruce Pihlamae, long term Oracle DBA

From: Sherrie Kubis [mailto:Sherrie.Kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us] Sent: Tuesday, January 26, 2016 12:52 AM To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Cc: rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com
Subject: RE: Oracle support and maintenance

Some of the points that I am preparing to talk to third-party vendors are:

  • Cost. Most charge 50% of the current maintenance cost
  • Patches. It’s a given that PSU/CPU or custom patches will be gone. What else regarding patches are no longer accessible.
  • Access of MOS Knowledge Base and MOSC Technical Forums
  • How are problems classified and what response is guaranteed

o Downed system severity

o Production impacting

  • Enterprise Manager
  • Diagnostics and Tuning Packs
  • APEX
  • Non-Active Data Guard

I agree that patches would be a critical missing pieces. Also the ability to draw from a wide range of Oracle Support Engineers for assistance. I’ve had my issues with support response over the years, but I can always work it through a manager and get what I need.

I am in the information gathering stage and want to come up with every point and counter-point possible to present a business proposal back to management with pros and cons, with a risk analysis.

Any insights are appreciated,

Sherrie

Subject: RE: oracle-l Digest V13 #15

Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2016 10:15:09 -0600

From: Rich J <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>

On 2016/01/22 08:30, Sherrie Kubis wrote:

> Does anyone have experience with third-party support vendors, or additional information on what will no longer be accessible without maintenance?

While I haven't seriously looked at third-party support, the one

critical piece that seems to be missing is access to software patches.

Those have unfortunately proven to be crucial for me to be able to keep

our Production DBs afloat, and I don't even generally apply CPUs/PSUs.

It also impacts "free" Oracle software like EM12c, where the upgrade to

12.1.0.5 requires patch 11061801.

Perhaps patching is a question that needs to be asked of the support

vendors you interview.

GL!

Rich

Sherrie Kubis

Sr. Oracle DBA

Information Technology Bureau

Southwest Florida Water Management District

2379 Broad Street

Brooksville, FL 34604-6899

352.796.7211 x4033

 <mailto:steve.dicks_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us> sherrie.kubis_at_swfwmd.state.fl.us

Please take a moment to <https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ITB-SWFWMD> answer a few questions and let us how we’re doing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE E-mails made or received in conjunction with the official business of the District are public records. All e-mails sent to and from this address are automatically archived. For more information regarding the State of Florida public records laws, please visit <http://www.myflorida.com> www.myflorida.com.

image001.jpg