RE: HP 3Par Recovery Manager

From: Dimensional DBA <dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 15:34:33 -0800

If you read their own documentation it is not a replacement for RMAN. It as most of these add-ons uses the RMAN APIs to perform backups.

See 01/2016 documentation

http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5335616 <http://h20566.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5335616&docId=emr_na-c04942290&docLocale=en_US> &docId=emr_na-c04942290&docLocale=en_US

3PAR performs standard backups copies using backup SW (Netbackup, HP Data Protector, RMAN) and uses standard copy on write snapshot technology along with interaction with the database as shown in the manual

“Interact with the Oracle database (putting database in backup mode, stopping redo applied process or performing database log switching), as necessary, to create a consistent Virtual Copy.”

Too many vendors try to get you to simply buy more of their storage and use their snapshot copies as if they were backups.

If you have any need to keep offsite backups for long periods of time, this doesn’t work unless you are going to have someone else maintain a 3PAR system in another data center and you still make other copies to some type of alternate storage as everything system fails.

Their documentation and their marketing glossies don’t ever mention replacing your backups with their product.

Matthew Parker

Chief Technologist

Dimensional DBA

425-891-7934 (cell)

D&B 047931344

CAGE 7J5S7 Dimensional.dba_at_comcast.net

 <http://www.linkedin.com/pub/matthew-parker/6/51b/944/> View Matthew Parker's profile on LinkedIn

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Peter Sharman Sent: Wednesday, January 27, 2016 2:40 PM To: jkstill_at_gmail.com; Oracle-L Freelists Subject: RE: HP 3Par Recovery Manager

Jared

I don’t have any experience with the product so I can’t say anything for or against. What I would say is you’d need to look at what they add to the picture and weigh that against the cost (as I’m sure you’re already doing). A lot of other vendors in this space are using RMAN under the covers anyway, so there’s got to be a cost-benefit analysis on why you need that.

Pete

Oracle logo

Pete Sharman
Database Architect, DBaaS / DBLM
Enterprise Manager Product Suite
33 Benson Crescent CALWELL ACT 2905 AUSTRALIA

Phone: <tel:+61262924095> +61262924095 | | Mobile: +61414443449 Email: <mailto:pete.sharman_at_oracle.com> pete.sharman_at_oracle.com Twitter: @SharmanPete LinkedIn: au.linkedin.com/in/petesharman Website: petewhodidnottweet.com

Kevin Loney, Oracle DBA Handbook

"Oh no, it's not, it's much harder than that!"

Bruce Pihlamae, long term Oracle DBA

From: Jared Still [mailto:jkstill_at_gmail.com] Sent: Thursday, January 28, 2016 2:04 AM To: Oracle-L Freelists <oracle-l_at_freelists.org> Subject: HP 3Par Recovery Manager

Dear Oracle-L

We have a client that is implementing new HP Storage and associated Software.

HP is pushing their 3Par Recovery Manager as a replacement for RMAN.

If you have experiences good or bad, and are willing to share, please do so.

In particular any recovery experiences would be most interesting.

If you don't want to share publicly, please do so privately.

Thank you,

Jared Still

Principal Consultant at Pythian

Pythian Blog http://www.pythian.com/blog/author/still/ Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com (hmm, seems to be down)