Re: Large Pages - Oracle on Windows

From: Alvaro Jose Fernandez <alvaro.fernandez_at_sivsa.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2016 15:56:20 +0000

I have them implemented in a 11gR2 RAC cluster and it works very well - faster CPU processing and much less paging activity on the server.

But (as the link Andrew posted remarks) do notice that (in a RAC environment, I suppose equally applicable to non-RAC instances) if you stop the instance, to start it again you would need to restart the operating system as well, as there are issues with memory reclamation by the OS when using LP. This happens to me every time (20 Gb memory allocated to a RAC instance, in a 32 Gb server with Windows 2008 R2 SP1). I don't know if that changed in 12c or Windows 2012.

Alvaro,

De: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] en nombre de Andrew Kerber [andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com] Enviado: miércoles, 27 de enero de 2016 16:09 Para: MJ Mody
CC: oracle-l
Asunto: Re: Large Pages - Oracle on Windows

Yes, windows implementation is very different. Here is a link to instructions on largepage implementation in windows. I wrote it some time ago.:

https://dbakerber.wordpress.com/2013/07/21/large-pages-implementation-in-windows/

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 9:04 AM, MJ Mody <emjay.mody_at_gmail.com<mailto:emjay.mody_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Huge-pages is a Linux supported feature? Is there any difference in Windows implementations?

On Jan 27, 2016, at 8:52 AM, Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com<mailto:andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>> wrote:

I use them all the time. The have fairly large CPU benefits in Virtualized environments, smaller but still noticeable CPU improvements in physical environments. The key item is to allocate enough hugepages for your entire sga. If you are using OVM, make sure your version supports them directly, early versions translated them to standard page size.

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 8:16 AM, MJ Mody <emjay.mody_at_gmail.com<mailto:emjay.mody_at_gmail.com>> wrote: Oracle SMEs
Reaching out to see if anyone has Large Pages implemented and any lessons learned that one would share. I have a 12c dev/test environment upgrade coming up and considering to enable this feature.

Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Regards
MJ