Re: Capturing user / password For Failed Logins

From: Yong Huang <"Yong>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2016 14:55:38 +0000

Scott,
Glad to know the problem is solved. But I can't reproduce the problem in your previous version which is 11.2.0.4. If I understand you correctly, you would be able to pad the password with spaces without affecting login in that version but not 12c. The following is on an 11.2.0.4 server using sqlplus out of the Oracle home of the server:

SQL> create user testpwd identified by testpwd1234;

User created.

SQL> grant create session to testpwd;

Grant succeeded.

SQL> conn testpwd/"testpwd1234   "
ERROR:
ORA-01017: invalid username/password; logon denied

Warning: You are no longer connected to ORACLE. SQL> conn testpwd/"testpwd1234"
Connected.

Padding the password with 3 spaces here causes ORA-1017. By the way, how did you find out the cause of the problem? Sometimes the way to find the solution is more interesting than the solution itself. Thanks. Yong

  • Original Message ---Ok, we solved this. The problem was that the field in the COBOL program was longer than the password that was being stored in it. Therefore, when it tried to connect to Oracle, it was sending the password padded with blanks at the end, so it didn’t match. Once the COBOL program was changed so the field length was the same length as the password, it worked.