Administrivia: Users randomly losing posting privilege for no apparent reason....

From: Mark J. Bobak <mark_at_bobak.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Dec 2015 13:44:58 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I hope everyone enjoyed their Christmas!

About 10 days ago, at *somones* prompting (cough-cough, Kellyn! cough-cough), I reached out to John Madden, who is one of the guys who runs the show at Freelists. Well, that was 10 days ago, and I hadn't heard a word, cause he is usually really responsive. So, I poked him again today, and discovered my original mail was lost in the holiday shuffle.

Anyhow, hopefully we are now on track to get to the bottom of this. He's enabled some extra reporting and tracing, (and I'm going to be getting spammed with a lot of extra details!)

So, the next time any one of you (who is certain you had posting privilege in the recent past), loses posting privilege, please let me know immediately. (Ideally, you posted last week or yesterday, and it was ok, but now you're getting bounces.) That's the kind of info we'll be looking for.

Hopefully the next one or two occurrences, and we'll be able to track down the problem.

For Kellyn, and anyone else this happened to recently, when it happened, you *only* lost posting privilege, correct? You were *not* unsubscribed from the list? In other words, you continued to receive postings from Oracle-L, without any interruption? This is an important point, because if you'e actually being unsubscribed from the list, that can easily be explained by a temporary email delivery failure (bounce). If Freelists mail server can't successfully send email to your address, it will bounce back, and Freelists will unsubscribe you from Oracle-L,to prevent any fuurther failures. If you then subsequently re-subscribe, you're considered a new subscriber and need to re-request posting privs.

If, however, you *remain* subscribed, but only lose ability to post, then we have a mystery that bears investigation.

Thanks!

-Mark

PS Happy 2016 to you all!

--