archive_lag_target with real time apply for data guard

From: max scalf <oracle.blog3_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 12:48:20 -0600

Hello list,

We are in process of setting up data guard and one of the thing i was thinking was to set "archive_lag_target" to 1800 seconds, so that i do not loose my redo data on the standby site if there was a failure on primary, but then it also got me thinking, I am using real time apply(this is specific to 11g system). From what i understand about real-time apply is "it allows Data Guard to recover redo data from the current standby redo log as it is being filled by the RFS process", if that is the case why would i need to set archive_lag_target as my data is being pushed out anyways ??

thoughts ??