Re: Oracle 12 vs. Fedora 23

From: Martijn Bos <maboc_at_maboc.nl>
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 17:33:09 +0100

Hi,

The last time I installed a Oracle RDBMS on a laptop it took me (maybe) days. I was prepared for a tough installprocess with lots of troubleshooting.

So, I was a little suprised this morning.

On 2015-12-19 14:17:51, Tim Hall wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I did some installs against the 23 beta and then the final release
> once it hit. Provided you go for a recent spin of Oracle (12.1.0.2 or
> 11.2.0.4) the installations are pretty straight forward.

I downloaded today. I would say that is reasonably recent. :-)

> https://oracle-base.com/articles/12c/oracle-db-12cr1-installation-on-fedora-23
> https://oracle-base.com/articles/11g/oracle-db-11gr2-installation-on-fedora-23

Never bothered to look for documentation since I was expecting a lot of trouble. When I started I was going for troubleshooting mode: Attacking every problem when it arises. (Totally uncalled for, as I know now)

> There is a bit more messing about if you go for earlier spins
> (12.1.0.1 or 11.2.0.1).

No...I'm fine like it is.

> I know it's an extra overhead, but I would recommend running
> VirtualBox and installing Oracle in a VM running Oracle Linux. You
> will get a more "production-like" experience, if you know what I mean.
> :)

I exactly know what you mean. My desktop PC is a shelter for a complete production environment:

- load balancer/apache server)
- application/tomcat servers
- database/oracle server
- ldap/DNS machine

Occasionaly my wife asks me, why such a big (read :expensive) computer is somewhat slow :-))

> Cheers
>
> Tim...

Met vriendelijke groet,

Martijn Bos