Re: Subject: Re: upgrade OL6 tot OL7 within Cluster

From: Tim Hall <tim_at_oracle-base.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2015 16:13:10 +0000

Hi.

When you have a 10 year support lifespan on an OS release, and the when UEK (unlike the RHEL kernel) gets all the latest and greatest features added without having to upgrade the whole distribution, I think that is perfectly fine to consider a rebuild for an OS upgrade.

We regularly stick with an OS version (Windows, Linux, Solaris) for the lifespan of the hardware. During a hardware refresh, it is very easy and gives simpler fallback to build a new infrastructure and migrate to it, than upgrade in place.

There are a number of fundamental changes in RHEL7/OL7 that would make me reluctant to upgrade in place, rather than rebuild. Just my opinion though... :)

Cheers

Tim...