RE: Migrate from AIX to Linux

From: Rich J <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 15:50:49 -0600

On 2015/12/17 15:00, Dimensional DBA wrote:

> CIO is redundant to Oracle overall I/O and caching mechanisms. You should use Oracle ASM on Linux.

OK, you've got me curious now. With Oracle 10g+ on AIX, where filesystemio_options=setall and the database files are on JFS2, DBWR will implicitly use CIO, even if CIO isn't specified on the mountpoint. CIO should not be used anywhere else for the database (e.g. not on redo logs or binaries), per Oracle and IBM.

Are you saying that one should purposely _not_ use CIO on AIX? It seems like that would incur performance penalties for the DBWR, including dbfile creation/extension and restores.

Rich