Re: Migrate from AIX to Linux

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 13:16:38 -0500

On 12/17/2015 12:52 PM, Deepak Sharma wrote:
> Now, since you have experience with actually doing the migration, let
> me know if this would work (we will of course try it out soon too):
>
> 1. Copy the 'datafile copies' from source to destination staging area
This can be achieved with a minimal downtime, by shutting down the database and snapping LUNs which contain the database. That is equivalent to a cold backup, only two orders of magnitude faster. After the snapshot, the database can be restarted.

> 2. Run the 'convert from platform' RMAN command, to convert those
> datafile copies so they land in the real datafile locations

Mount the snapshot onto the target machines and run "rman convert" to real locations. Re-create the control file with the new file locations. Since the target is Linux RAC, those will most probably look like this: '+DATA/<db_unique_name>/datafiles/......'. Something like "vi" with global string replace capability would be ideal for editing "create controlfile" statement.

> 3. Copy the subsequent 'Incrementals' from source to destination area

Everything else remains the same. And yes, I have done that.

> 4. Convert the Incrementals on destination to apply to real datafile
> (from Step 2).
> 5. Repeat 3 & 4, until you're almost caught up, and do a final 3 & 4
> with source tablespaces being read-only.
>
> Does this make sense? Pls share your thoughts.
Yes it does. However, few steps have been left out. I am not sure whether AIX db is single instance or RAC, but you will need to add the undo tablespace for each instance and create as many redo threads as you have instances. Single-instance database has only a single active redo thread. You will also need to add instances to OCR by using srvctl add instance. Only when that is done, you will have a full fledged RAC database on Linux.

Also, be very careful when performing loads. Make sure that the same tables are only loaded from one machine. Good luck, may the force be with you.
Regards

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA