Re: SSD usage

From: Timur Akhmadeev <timur.akhmadeev_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 19:51:49 +0300

Hi

Few random thoughts on the topic:
1) SSD/flash world is growing and changing rapidly. Soon enough most storage is going to be in some form of flash 2) SSD/flash is perfect for random reads and not so good for continuous writes by design (search write cliff SSD). With your values for redo it most likely shouldn't be an issue 3) anything under few hundred MB of redo/sec can be served with reasonable latency by rotational disks provided you have a good write cache 4) log file sync waits are not only about writing redo, it's much more complex than that, especially with modern oracle releases. If you need better advice then you need to start with 1h statspack/awr report of your system
5) usually these days people use ASM and its striping for the best results from all available disks, and rarely spend time deciding how to assign parts of database to different drives.

--
Regards
Timur Akhmadeev