Re: Moveing to Linux for Windows - Choose Oracle Linux?

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 15:56:34 -0500

On 12/12/2015 10:53 AM, Hans Forbrich wrote:
> On 11/12/2015 11:58 AM, Mark J. Bobak wrote:
>> I can't think of any reason not to. In fact, in your position, with
>> noone that has any pre-conceived notions or prejudices, I'd
>> definitiely recommend ORacle Linux.
>>
>> Mainly, because of the following:
>>
>> - Oracle optimized UEK (Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel)
>> - availability of preinstall package
>> (oracle-rdbms-server-12cR1-preinstall) to very quickly set up almost
>> all prerequisites in one easy step
>> - ASMLib kernel module is built in to UEK, and Other ASMLib
>> pacakages available via yum.
>>
> For me, on the tech side, the idea of KSplice is a MAJOR benefit.
> Since it is included in the Oracle Linux Premier Support (as is OEM),
> the concept of zero-downtime security and kernel patching is very
> appealing.
>
> http://www.ksplice.com/
>
> I'd encourage looking at that, to possibly extending your list.
>
> /Hans

Well, to be the devil's advocate, there is an adage about not putting all of the eggs in one basket. Also, Red Hat is a de facto standard and most of the software companies are testing their products against Red Hat Linux. So, if you need to run any other commercial products on Linux, besides Oracle, Red Hat might be better for you. Red Hat Linux support is also a bit more expensive.
Regards
--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA