Re: Migrate from AIX to Linux

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 01:33:37 -0500

On 12/12/2015 12:24 AM, Deepak Sharma wrote:
> It's about 200TB active data-warehouse with 8B rows loaded and 5-6TB
> arch generated a day.
>
> We'll try to look into the "Cross Platform Incremental Backup" that
> Andrew mentioned.
>
> -thanks

If HUR or SRDF are available, they can significantly speed up making the initial data files copy. I would be very surprised if a 200TB database wasn't on EMC VMAX or Hitachi , so SRDF or HUR are probably an option. Just don't forget to put the database into the backup mode before cloning it with a disk replication tool. I know that the decision has already been made, but in my opinion, IBM can handle high IO loads, like the ones typically imposed by a DW type database, much better than any Linux/x86_64 box. The difference is in the machine architecture. IBM has memory attached smart channels, while x86_64 boxes have interrupt based IO technology, which is inferior to the large IBM boxes. I hope a realistic benchmark was performed prior to such a decision. I sometimes see such migrations as intermediate step before "migrating to the cloud". I will refrain from expressing my opinion about that.
Regards.

--
Mladen Gogala
Oracle DBA