Upgrade RAC from 11.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.4

From: Chris King <ckaj111_at_yahoo.ca>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 20:56:28 +0000 (UTC)

Looking into the upgrade of RAC from 11.2.0.3 to 11.2.0.4.

Looks like I have no choice but to upgrade both GRID and RDBMS "out of place" at the same time.

I'm concerned I may not have enough disk space. Looks like I'll need about another 10.5GB, but only have about 8GB after cleaning up the /u01 partition.

Is there an option to do the RDBMS portion of this upgrade in place? Or upgrade the RDBMS "in place" first, then go back and upgrade GRID "out of place"?  I have more disk on other partitions on the same systems, but don't think Oracle will "allow" softlinks (linux) for the RDBMS software.. or is that an option?

Trying to work with the disk space I've got before asking for more.. Does anyone know if there are options that take less disk? Thanks in advance.