RE: Moveing to Linux for Windows - Choose Oracle Linux?

From: Stephan Uzzell <stephan.uzzell_at_oracle.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 13:23:37 -0800 (PST)

Adric & Ryan,

I agree, communication within Oracle can be, um, interesting at times. I will say, though, that before we were acquired by Oracle, we were a partner company, and we were primarily a Windows shop. We went through enough 6 month fights between Microsoft and Oracle about who was at fault… The one time I’ve had an SR that involved both the DB and OS teams at Oracle, they figured it out fairly quickly. My one good experience certainly does not cancel out your bad experiences, but in my sample size of 1, having one company owning both products worked out.

Purely my personal experience/opinion.

http://www.oracle.com/

Stephan Uzzell |  Senior Database Administrator | HGBU Cloud Operations

Mobile: +1 410.227.6732

Oracle Hospitality

Swarthmore, PA | US

http://www.oracle.com/commitment

From: Adric Norris [mailto:landstander668_at_gmail.com] Sent: Friday, December 11, 2015 3:29 PM
To: Ryan January <rjanuary_at_gmail.com> Cc: contact_at_soocs.de; oracle-l_at_freelists.org; backseatdba_at_gmail.com Subject: Re: Moveing to Linux for Windows - Choose Oracle Linux?

+1000

Full disclaimer... I'm Ryan's colleague, and opened the 6+ month train wreck of a production-data-corruption SR (with reproducible test case provided on day one) which he alluded to. Fun times.

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Ryan January <HYPERLINK "mailto:rjanuary_at_gmail.com"rjanuary_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Stephan,
I understand this works great in theory, however as a full stack Oracle customer (from the hardware up) I have to say it doesn't work that way in practice. We recently had an RDBMS bug that was exposed through GoldenGate functionality.  The back and forth between both business units and Oracle Support was maddening. After fingers were pointed at each BU for months we tried getting our reps involved, however they only 'had pull' with respect to their division and were of little external assistance.  That resulted in a lot of 'we'll get back with you' and finger pointing.

Nothing would please me more to agree with you, but I know too many people with similar stories.

> On Dec 11, 2015, at 1:19 PM, Stefan Koehler <HYPERLINK "mailto:contact_at_soocs.de"contact_at_soocs.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Jeff,
> good move :) imo there is absolutely no good technical reason to run Oracle RDBMS on Windows. The only (valid) reason for doing this, could be the
> in-house knowledge of the OS team - that's it.
>
> However Oracle Linux is also a very good choice - especially if you are not very familiar with Linux yet. Oracle Linux (UEK) is optimized for Oracle
> and already got good default settings for running RDBMS (e.g. I/O scheduler or memory options like disabled transparent huge pages, etc.). If you
> choose another distribution, you have to do all of this on your own.
>
> Good luck :)
>
> Best Regards
> Stefan Koehler
>
> Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher
> Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
> Twitter: _at_OracleSK
>
>> Jeff Chirco <HYPERLINK "mailto:backseatdba_at_gmail.com"backseatdba_at_gmail.com> hat am 11. Dezember 2015 um 18:49 geschrieben:
>>
>> So we are going to be converting our database from Windows 2008R2 64bit over to Linux.  We are not currently a big Linux shop so we don't have a
>> preference on the flavor.  I am just assuming we would go with Oracle Linux. Seems like it should be the perfect match.  Any reason why not?

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams