Re: Moveing to Linux for Windows - Choose Oracle Linux?

From: Adric Norris <landstander668_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 14:28:50 -0600

+1000

Full disclaimer... I'm Ryan's colleague, and opened the 6+ month train wreck of a production-data-corruption SR (with reproducible test case provided on day one) which he alluded to. Fun times.

On Fri, Dec 11, 2015 at 2:22 PM, Ryan January <rjanuary_at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Stephan,
> I understand this works great in theory, however as a full stack Oracle
> customer (from the hardware up) I have to say it doesn't work that way in
> practice.
> We recently had an RDBMS bug that was exposed through GoldenGate
> functionality. The back and forth between both business units and Oracle
> Support was maddening.
> After fingers were pointed at each BU for months we tried getting our reps
> involved, however they only 'had pull' with respect to their division and
> were of little external assistance. That resulted in a lot of 'we'll get
> back with you' and finger pointing.
>
> Nothing would please me more to agree with you, but I know too many people
> with similar stories.
>

> > On Dec 11, 2015, at 1:19 PM, Stefan Koehler <contact_at_soocs.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Jeff,
> > good move :) imo there is absolutely no good technical reason to run
> Oracle RDBMS on Windows. The only (valid) reason for doing this, could be
> the
> > in-house knowledge of the OS team - that's it.
> >
> > However Oracle Linux is also a very good choice - especially if you are
> not very familiar with Linux yet. Oracle Linux (UEK) is optimized for Oracle
> > and already got good default settings for running RDBMS (e.g. I/O
> scheduler or memory options like disabled transparent huge pages, etc.). If
> you
> > choose another distribution, you have to do all of this on your own.
> >
> > Good luck :)
> >
> > Best Regards
> > Stefan Koehler
> >
> > Freelance Oracle performance consultant and researcher
> > Homepage: http://www.soocs.de
> > Twitter: _at_OracleSK
> >
> >> Jeff Chirco <backseatdba_at_gmail.com> hat am 11. Dezember 2015 um 18:49
> geschrieben:
> >>
> >> So we are going to be converting our database from Windows 2008R2 64bit
> over to Linux. We are not currently a big Linux shop so we don't have a
> >> preference on the flavor. I am just assuming we would go with Oracle
> Linux. Seems like it should be the perfect match. Any reason why not?
> >>

> > --

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -Douglas Adams