rac one node naming

From: Andrew Kerber <andrew.kerber_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2015 19:28:50 -0600

Some time ago we had a discussion of rac one node instance naming, and as I recall the consensus was that the instance name was always the same (normally _1).

So, I did some experimentation, and I need to understand what is going on and how to prevent it.

I put together a 2 node rac one node installation in VMware workstation 12, oracle 12c/rhel 6.5.

The running instance is rontest_1. Service name rontest., nodes ractest1 and ractest2, instance running on ractest1

I shut down ractest1, and the rontest_1 instance is now running on ractest2.

Now, I manually relocate the instance, using the command:

srvctl relocate db -d rontest -n ractest1.

I look at node 1, and now rontest_2 is running on ractest1.

So, what did I do wrong, and how do I prevent it from happening again? Or is this the expected behavior.

--
Andrew W. Kerber