RE: Protecting production from "us"

From: Iggy Fernandez <iggy_fernandez_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 09:29:34 -0800

Twelve years ago, I was interviewed for a DBA manager position at eBay and I was asked this very question; that is, "An employee inadvertently made a change in the production database instead of the development database; how would you handle the situation?" I believe I was not hired because I did not provide a good enough response. As they say: "the moving finger writes and having writ, moves on." I'm still hoping that time travel will someday become possible so that I can go back and give them the response I wrote in my previous post. Iggy

From: iggy_fernandez_at_hotmail.com
To: oracle-l_at_freelists.org
Subject: RE: Protecting production from "us" Date: Fri, 4 Dec 2015 08:35:47 -0800

There is a saying that: "future employers benefit from the mistakes of current employees." An employee becomes more valuable, not less valuable, from having made a mistake and learned from it. Ultimately it is management who is responsible for mandating, instituting, developing, and implementing protocols and procedures to prevent this from happening. Depending on the cost of an outage to the company (e.g. NASDAQ, eBay), there are numerous things that can be done to prevent this from happening, from changing the colors on Putty screens, to requiring two people to work together any time there is a need to log into production, to prohibiting and even preventing access to production unless there is an open service request or change request. I have worked at a company where one could not log into production without a one-time-only code. One had to call the support desk to ask for a code. The support desk would ask which ticket I was working on and record that. Iggy