Re: Aw: Re: Protecting production from "us"

From: Rich J <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Thu, 03 Dec 2015 15:31:08 -0600

On 2015/12/03 13:44, Ingrid Voigt wrote:

> I rarely use putty (we are a Windows shop), but in similar situations:
> For SQL Plus Sessions: Set the prompt to username_at_dbname. In addition always manually
> query "select host_name, instance_name, status from v$instance;" before doing anything critical.
> Train yourself to actually read the output.

One can also use the "color" command for DOS window background colors. "color 4f" for red, "color 2f" for green", "0f" for black.

> For Windows RDP Sessions: Always have a tool display host information on the desktop background
> (sysinternals bginfo does this)

Nice! It looks like a light version of rainmeter. But for me the background is almost always obscured by foreground windows. Maybe having the toolbar red (if it also isn't hidden) would add another visual cue.

One of my challenges is that every version of Winders has a different way of logging out and shutting down. 2K3 server has separate logoff and shutdown buttons plus a confirmation dialog, while 2K8R2 does not. I have to verbally tell myself "I'm logging off" _several_ times while in the process to keep myself from accidentally shutting the server down.

> For the DBAs: We can always say "I am too tired / unable to focus and shouldn't touch a database
> today. Let me clean up my emails for a while / read oracle-l / ... and go home early."
> As long as this only happens once in a while nobody will mind.

Excellent! We also have an informal "No Change Fridays" policy to prevent IT folks who are thinking about the weekend from causing half of our small department from being in crisis mode on a Friday/Saturday instead of spending quality time with their families.

Once upon a time, I used my timed score of the daily Set game at setgame.com to benchmark my Production-worthiness for that day. A bad score didn't prevent me from doing Production work, but it did help me be aware that I might not be 105% that day.

My $.02,
Rich