Re: ora-12170

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 2015 06:51:29 -0800

On Tue, Dec 1, 2015 at 6:27 AM, Zelli, Brian <Brian.Zelli_at_roswellpark.org> wrote:

> I have a user who wants to connect from Access to Oracle. We created the
> System DSN for the connection. I am using the instant client for 12 on
> this machine. But when we test the connection or try and open it thru
> Access, we get ORA-12170 error, TNS: Connect timeout occurred. I’ve used
> this setup several times before without issue so what could be holding up
> this one pc? I googled and keep getting This may be a result of network
> or system delays; or this may indicate that a malicious client is trying to
> cause a Denial of Service attack on the server type messages……

Hi Brian,

You might try tnsping to see if the listener can be contacted.

When you use tnsping, it will show you the sqlnet.ora file used, if any.

If sqlnet.ora is in use, check to see if any of these parameters are set in it;

SQLNET.SEND_TIMEOUT
SQLNET.RECV_TIMEOUT As this is a new client install these are probably not there, but it doesn't hurt to check.

How about the server side?

SQLNET.INBOUND_CONNECT_TIMEOUT If set, perhaps the value is too low.

A good troubleshooting step would be to setup a connection for a database on a
test server where you can modify the connect timeout value and see if it makes any difference.

Set it to something longer than the wall clock time you are experiencing for the timeout.

If you really want to dig into it, setup server side sqlnet tracking, with trace_level_client=16 and TRACE_UNIQUE_CLIENT=on

Note: this will trace all clients - keep an eye on disk space.

The trcasst utility can be used to interpret the file.

Note: If the timestamps are incorrect in the tracefile, there is a workaround.

HTH Jared Still
Certifiable Oracle DBA and Part Time Perl Evangelist Principal Consultant at Pythian
Pythian Blog http://www.pythian.com/blog/author/still/ Oracle Blog: http://jkstill.blogspot.com Home Page: http://jaredstill.com