RE: High IOPS direct small writes?

From: Mark W. Farnham <mwf_at_rsiz.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Nov 2015 15:25:39 -0500

The commit parameters relate to management of how redo is batched by Log Writer and whether the write is confirmed before control is returned to the client.

This thread was about generating direct I/O to a database file, which is being driven by the 10,000 distinct insert appends in JL’s example.

Please explain more about the context in which you think a “COMMIT WRITE WAIT” would be needed in PL/SQL to get useful feedback. I’d suggest a whole new thread.

mwf

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [mailto:oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] On Behalf Of Tom Dale Sent: Monday, November 23, 2015 10:36 AM To: richa03_at_gmail.com
Cc: Jonathan Lewis; Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: Re: High IOPS direct small writes?

Does the append hint remove the need for

COMMIT WRITE WAIT;   If its in plsql?

Tom

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 7:58 PM, Rich <richa03_at_gmail.com> wrote:

Perfect - thanks!

On Thu, Nov 19, 2015 at 11:32 AM, Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

Unless I've misunderstood your question you could just use insert/append differently:

begin

        for i in 1..10000 loop
                insert /*+ append */ into t1 select 1 from dual;
                commit;
        end loop;

end;
/

That's 10,000 single block direct path writes - requiring 10,000 blocks allocated.

Regards
Jonathan Lewis
http://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com
_at_jloracle

From: oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org [oracle-l-bounce_at_freelists.org] on behalf of Rich [richa03_at_gmail.com] Sent: 19 November 2015 19:27
To: Oracle-L Freelists
Subject: High IOPS direct small writes?

Hi All,

This is 11.2.0.3 on AIX.

I know how to create direct IO load with insert+append, however, I'd like to know how I can create high IOPS, direct small writes through the Oracle code - preferably using SQL*Plus. I'd also prefer the target be a "normal object" (like a table or index; not redo logs, LOB nor temp).

Any ideas?

TIA, Rich