Re: Finding long running queries..

From: raza siddiqui <raza.siddiqui_at_oracle.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Nov 2015 11:12:29 -0800

Before you look at query details..how about backing up a little bit and seeing the BIG picture ?
  • *Why *type of database are the queries running on ? OLTP, DWH, Hybrid
  • *When *are you running the queries (batch or otherwise)
  • *What *other activity is occurring on the DB at time of query (DDL / DML)
  • *How *much data is being scanned by the query(s) & and is it static or dynamic

If you can answer some / all of the above..you maybe able to address from a macro-level, ie adjusting a DB parameter ?

I've learned folks trying to look into tuning SQL when the DB architecture itself is setup incorrectly, and no amount of tuning will give a good to decent ROI on the time / effort spent.

Good luck.