Re: Question - Fusion Middleware inside Cloud Control or no?

From: Chris Taylor <christopherdtaylor1994_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 08:12:57 -0600

Tim,

With very deep respect to you, I want to analyze this a bit.

I think your argument stems from the idea that the Java vulnerability is a *reasonable
risk *and measures can be taken to fence off the server *at risk. *I would agree with except *there is a provided reasonable patching strategy **to fix *the Java Vulnerabilities delivered in EM 12c.

In context, your argument is placed against the counter-argument: Argument 1.) We can not patch the product (for whatever reasons) and instead fence off the server that has the known vulnerabilities and leave the security risk in place
versus
Argument 2:) We can patch (and Oracle provides the ways and means) the Java vulnerability to fix the problem instead of protecting the problem.

The conclusion *reasonably *must be to fix the problem and perhaps also fence the black box. There is no reasonable argument (that I can see) that supports leaving the vulnerability unpatched unless ultimately Oracle's provided patching solutions do not work. I'm working through the CPU 2015 Patch instructions for EM 12c now and getting ready to update the JDK (I'm at like step 30 in my documentation I'm throwing together - where individual patching instructions are all rolled into step numbers 25 & 26. So lets say there's 9 patches, I'm really at like step 39 or something). I'm going to clean up my steps once I'm sure everything "works" as expected.

Chris