Re: Segment growth monitoring

From: Rich J <rjoralist3_at_society.servebeer.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2015 09:54:23 -0600

On 2015/11/14 16:56, Jared Still wrote:

> On medium to large SANs the DBA usually has no control over where the data is stored.
>
> A mixture of devices (SSD and actual disks) is probably in use, with the SAN deciding in most cases what goes where.

I like our XIV with its internal algorithm to mix data on RAM/SSD/HDD. Since the LUN placement is (largely) out of our control, I had....well, I'll call them "reservations". But as I'm able to get 4+GB/s sustained throughput on our DB servers with a 50/50 read/write mix under a Production load, I really don't care. Of course, the ratio of the XIV's own CPU-to-RAM-to-SSD-to-HDD for our specific environment likely has a lot to do with that, so the "YMMV" disclaimer certainly applies.

I hope this doesn't affect my BARFF membership...

Rich